Sunday 17 June 2012

Wet Feet



 
 
Here we go - a little snap from yesterday morning! How things can change in a matter of hours. A storm came in and knocked out the power in the village. Kaput! Nothing! No phone, no mobile, no internet, no power - no espresso! Taken out presumably by a fierce strike from the heavens above. And it was all going so well - 3ft, light offshore. Ho hum.
 
Today we have a bit of a repeat. Surf's okay, but once again we have dampness in the air. I can't remember a year quite like it - re. up and down weather. The surf's followed a similar pattern. But here's the rub, if you work on the law of averages, then the summer's going to be a stonker. With only a week to go before the nights start to draw in, let's hope we turn that corner sooner rather than later. 
 
Whitsun was a perfect example of the changeable weather. From the sublime to the ridiculous. From the busiest day in Polzeath I've ever seen (Monday) to desertion a few days later. Never mind, Whitsun showed really positive signs. The spondoolies come out to play when the sun does likewise.
 
I have to confess to being a bit of a wuss when it comes to storms. I love the thought of a biggun. But when it's upon and overhead, I'm deep beneath the blankets. Something unfortunately I couldn't be last Monday when cycling near Newton Abbott. I took refuge from the deluge under a tree.... until the first and loudest clap of thunder, at which point I was a bit stuck. Stand away from the tree and take it like a man, or stay under the tree and take it like a idiot? Remounting the bike was not an option. I am here to tell the tale, but I think that's because I resorted to shouting at the offending cloud, "Come on then you big black cloud, show me what you've you've got!!" It did, and I cried. You can do that sort of thing when there's no-one around. A few miles onwards and the village high streets were a foot deep in rain water. Back inside, I rang Janey to see how she was getting on back in Polzeath and it was all suncream and bikinis! Humph.
 
Our duel existence, part Polzy, part Ivybridge is starting to take on some form of routine. We put an offer two weeks ago on a property that's been accepted - the fourth offer on as many different houses. Some sellers are being very unrealistic (they probably said the same about us!). We toddled off to Lloyds and C&G, to raise the required, who've had our accounts since, well, since they last had any money. "Computer says No!" "Really, on what basis?" Turns out that dividends don't count! No worries Lloyds will meet the shortfall. "Computer says No!" "Really?" Our accounts are healthy - again, dividends, company profits and assets don't count no more. I said to the bank manager over the phone what I had to say clearly and slowly so as to avoid any confusion, to which he replied, I tell no lie, "Whatever!" Grrr. Anyway, to cut the story short, Mr. Mortgage Broker sorts it out, no worries, easy peasy. But it was our first face to face with the reality of this recession. Whitsun spending from holiday makers, did not reflect a downturn, but the banks are mighty squeeky bottomed.
 
Janey's up in Ivy today, I'm back at the coal face.... generally doing..... 'stuff'! I have to admit to being a bit down recently (altogether now) ... I've had this niggling achilles injury that just will not go away. Tough one because what I really need to do is sit with my feet up and do nothing (yes Janey) but with the Empire to run that's not going to happen. I've had these special insoles fitted which are helping, I think. Not very cool though. Me and my special shoes! I wonder if there's such a thing as a leg scan, that would be the go. Anyway, walking down to check out the surf line-up yesterday and not be able to go in and catch a few..... it's a right tease. Doesn't stop me from cycling though and with the Dartmoor Classic only 12 days away I'll be good to go. Having lost the best part of 38 pounds from grinding out some miles over the past few months the climbs have become a good deal easier - I feel energised about that. If you see me limping (not mincing) now you'll know why. But enough about me, let's talk about you! Thanks for all your caption competition entries - still sifting and will announce winners next week. Mine was the funniest, lol!
 
Here's a story before I forget - when returning from Ivy earlier in the week there was a multiple pile up on the Tamar Bridge. Five cars all stacked up like sardines, no one hurt but all the drivers and passengers still sitting enveloped with airbags. Police on the scene. I told this to a friend and he recounted an accident he'd had a few years ago. He hit a car side on, they did a pirouette together. Cars came to a halt. Quick head to toe check for injuries - all clear. Big sigh of relief. Then the air bag goes off and breaks his nose! I laughed a lot at that story. Does that make me sick?
 
The business end - not much to say, except that we have a few places left on the Duke of Edinburgh Residential five day course from the 15th July. Erm..... I'm sure there's other 'stuff' but I'll be damned if I can remember. Good job I don't run an Empire and people are counting on me.... oh I do..... and they are! Best get on then.

No comments:

Post a Comment