Monday 20 June 2011

New Hat, New Day

Get into work this morning to find a nice new hat sitting on my desk... and now on my head! That's because it's started to rain. It even has my name on it - essential in these parts with Kelly around! I shall have the warmest head in town - thanks Sarah! It is a fine hat.. and we need these in the shop! It says 'Pete' on the front - not 'ete'.

Janey last night - "If you asked every Boardrider how many lessons they'd done since we started the club, and you added them all up, what would the total be?"
"I've got no idea!" I said. "I'm watching Rory. Now go back to bye-byes!"
Come wake up time, my mind has been feverish with activity. I resolved to work it all out. I've had to check it through a few times just to be sure - but here's some numbers.

No. of surf lessons - 19,000 adding up the total number of surf lessons done by each member

No. of hours training - 38,000 adding up the total number of hours done by each member

Total saved had everyone paid normal lesson prices (ie if we'd charged full price for the sessions) - £300,000+

No. of broken leashes, boards and wetsuits - okay let's not spoil the occasion!

I had no idea! Could have bought a house with that - admittedly not with a sea view! I'd like to think that's a pretty healthy contribution to the local community. Having said that there's been plenty of times I've said "Right that's it. No more." Because there are one or two who just take the soggy biscuit!! But I reckon on those figures we shall walk with heads held high and by rights should be awarded the Freedom of the village of Polzeath (which by law allows us to walk our dog on the beach at any time of year, and to ride our bikes on the coast paths - oh, apparently we do that anyway!). Freedom, you've got to give for what you take!

Here's Findog (our youngest) - he's a sporty boy! Lovin' his surfing' and lovin' his footie - we find out tonight if he's been signed by Plymouth Argyle. Fingers crossed. His big brother gets all the glory, but he's hot on his heels. No counting of chickens mind. He was training next to the under 15's yesterday - all gets very serious at that age. Two of the lads were snapped up last week, one going to Liverpool, the other to West Brom. Shows it can be done.

A moody shot of the Rumps from Lundy Bay last Saturday. Man it was windy. Should have had my new hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment