Monday 23 May 2011

Initiative Surf

We had a young man work for us for a few years, called Alex Espir. Some of our older clients will remember him well, no doubt. If I had to list our top instructors, he would be right up there. Anyway, he's done a bit of travelling and surf coaching around the world since leaving us, what five years ago? Something like that. Anyway I've just seen that he's started his own surf coaching business - http://www.initiativesurf.com/ - looks like he organises trips, ..... all around the globe!

Al is one of life's good guys (his family too - they pop into the shop sometimes to say hello) and I'm pretty sure he'll make a great success of this. Tough times to start any new venture - but as someone famous once said, "I'm not going to wish you luck. Whether you make it now, is just down to putting in the hours." I think the same person also said, "I put in ten thousand hours before achieving overnight success!" but I'm not sure how that's at all relevant. I'm going off message. I'm not sure we believe in luck - definitely believe in making the most of your opportunities though. Yeah, in our seventeenth year now, I'm going to stick with that one. God, I've aged well!

There's a lot of past employees who've gone onto set up their own businesses. I'd like to think that's because our recruitment policy picks out the good ones. I fear, however, that it could be down to the fact that they think that if me and Janey can run a business, anyone can! It's nice to be inspirational.

One other past instructor deserves a mention. Callum joined the army and has been on the front line in Afghanistan. From what I hear, it's pretty full on, not very nice. These are ever so brave young men. I hope we bring them back soon.

Ash cloud - I see a silver lining coming up. Flights being cancelled and all, we know what that means. Everyone comes to Cornwall. I don't know how everyone's going to fit in, as it's already looking mighty busy.

Kooky's coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment