Wednesday 19 January 2011

Drop everything!

Polzy at it's best this morning. 2-3ft surf, glass - not a breath of wind or a cloud in the sky.

A new fitness campaign started yesterday. I have to admit that after the Exmoor Beast at the back end of last year, I've let things slip. The 'six pack' is more 'big pack', as the boys like to comment on daily. And even Janey has become more vocal in recent days. Anyway, I caught a sideways glance of the offending item in the mirror at Roserrow on the weekend, and it was clear that it was time to get it on. It's easy to get into bad habits. Bit of bacon and eggs in the morning, Mocca's throughout the day. The calories add up, and then there's the biggest evil of them all, chocolate. I love that stuff! We've all been down the Lindt bunny route - sigh. I love that stuff.

It's been three days now off the silky smooth - and as always, you get that initial energy dip, bit headachey, and then out the otherside. On the other side we find renewed energy, a world of nuts and bananas, porridge, green tea and pasta - I hug trees and campaign against anything nuclear! Whereas before I was a 'happy fatty', now I'm a 'tetchy veggie'.
It's tough cutting out the things that you like. Everything in moderation. But I'm passed the hard part of making the decision. The motivation quite simply is that I want to surf better this year. 2010 was punctuated with some absolutely epic late night sessions, but it's getting the time to improve when it's not classic that has become difficult. Anyone who runs a business and has a couple of kids will understand that sometimes hobbies take a back seat.
But I have this new resolve that I'm going to stick to. Yesterday was the official start of getting back into surfing shape - bit of cycling, press-ups, sit ups, finished up with a spot of Yoga. At the end I felt great - the new beginning. And then as I bounded up the stairs in just my thermal socks, I slipped, and stubbed my big toe! Damn! Broken, possibly. I think it's officially called a 'Man Break'. ie slightly bruised.
Many years ago in a previous life I used to play right half for Bristol Hockey Club. I was better than my mate who got 80 caps for England, but he was more focused! There's a lesson right there. In my first match for the side, one of the opposition, only a few feet away, decided to hit the ball as hard as he could in my direction. It struck the very end of my big toe. Ever since that day, any tap on the tip results in some real pain. And that's why today with the surf outside perfecto, I have to be slightly frustrated. Give it a couple of days and I'll be fine. In the meantime, looks like I'm going to be spending a bit more time with Giggsy and his Yoga DVD.

What's happening? January is normally a time for down tools and chill! Not this year - Janey's working my fingers to the bone! Might be something to do with all those Christmas treats on the Mastercard bill. She really has to let these things go! Together we're working on quite a few new products for the shop and the beach. But actually the main focus is on improving the basics. After 16 years you'd think that we'd just have to turn up, but nothing could be further from the truth. The basics are something that can never be overlooked. We're always looking to improve. Having made changes to the company set up, we're definitely upbeat about the coming year. Our philosophy is that during what could be a tough financial time for many people, we want to work on value. That's the buzz word. Some surf schools charge £40 for a lesson! That's extreme. We charge £26! No difference. Except we have more experience and are much better - obviously! We're happy with that. No need to be greedy and no need to exclude. And I think clients appreciate, particularly in the current economic climate, companies that do all they can to maintain pricing levels.

I'm note sure I mentioned that Mahoustic - our rock band - ventured out the other night. We played at a 50's birthday party down at the Mill House, Trebarwith. Great thing about a 50 birthday party is you can turn the volume up as loud as you like. Pardon? Eh? Play what you like, just play it LOUD!

Megs has just come back from Morocco where she surfed some huge surf. She's got some balls that Megs. Wailin is off this week, but he's back next to make final preparations for the Bali trip in February. The trip is full now, so that's great start to the year. We only take a few over, but what an adventure! And Rob comes in three days a week to do his thing.

Come on 'Man Break' - heal!

No comments:

Post a Comment