Friday 18 June 2010

My dream last night involved playing in the ladies semi final at Wimbledon, a broken racket, Boris Becker pretending to not be able to speak German, him lending me his notepad (after reminding him that I saw him speaking fluent english on Panorama) and then me being disqualified for using someone elses notepad! I blame the Blue Cheese ... or it could be the Piriton.
I generally like to wake up with Lucy Versamy from the Sky weather team, but more recently she's been a cause for concern. You see many years ago, when I was an 'inlander', I used to suffer terribly from hayfever. I was one of the only pupils allowed to wear sunglasses - hey (ref. the fonz)! But ever since I moved to the coast 20 years ago the pollen seasons have come and gone without too much ado! But Lucy has been troubling me because she's now started using these new symbols to signify pollen strength. Any hayfever sufferer trembles in front of the telly when a big H appears on the screen. A High Forecast signifys a day in doors. But we now we see the Big V making a guest appearance. And as we all know, a big V is much worse than a big H! Not only that, but the area identified as a big V is coloured in danger red and it was focused on Cornwall! Piriton here we come!

Anyone catch BP's Mr Hayward yesterday being grilled by Congress? It was like watching a car crash in slow mo, bite the pillow time! He's probably a really decent family man, but this was poor performance. Yep, it was the same questions repeated time and time again, and he probably does want to wait until all the results have come in - but somehow there was a lack of appearing to want to help them. If our coastline was being threatened in this way (and we're not totally oblivious to the way the currents work from there to here!) we'd have wanted a bit more from him too. The irony of course is the americans past record on the environment, the 'unseens' don't seem to matter. But now we have a 'seen' perhaps, although extreme, in history this could go down as a defining moment that's good for the planet as we change our dependencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment