Wednesday 15 July 2009

Back at the Coal Face

Following another night of unsuccessful fishing in the boat (where are they?) today was a day back at the coal face. One short of 300 surfers through the doors called for some Crasky magic making a return in the instructors vest. I have no problems doing it - if the call is made then I'm there. And to be honest, it's really cool to be back doing what I think I'm best at. What's also really good is to get a feel again, from a first hand perspective of just what it takes to manage the numbers that we deal with... and I can't believe we've done it for so long. It's enough to make my hairs go grew.

So yes, last night? Back in the boat, the wind was howling, the rain hard, but the boys wanted to go for a spin. We were one of only two boats out in the whole of the estuary, which tells you something about what it was like. We found shelter for wakeboarding and then turned off the engine to drift in search of anything fishy. Nothing. Over to Padstow, have a look in calmer waters. Nothing - and then a luck out..... a small boat of local fishermen set off. We followed to their 'top spot' - nothing. It really was pretty bleak when we made our final journey across the estuary, wind against tide. Super choppy, the boys got the giggles!

I saw my dad yesterday for the first time in a while. He lives down here, but our paths only cross now and then. He looked well and happy, the best I've seen him look in a while, bit of spark back - which is great to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment