Friday 27 June 2014

Come on in, the water's lovely

Seventeen degrees! Seventeen degrees! That's the water temp right now. A figure that we'd normally only expect to hit come late July / August. But June? The world's gone crazy. I was chatting to one of the wetsuit manufacturers only the other day and he was saying how the buying trend of the 2014 surfer has been to bypass the summer wetsuit and go straight from a winter suit to a shortie. I know I've done exactly that. The water has warmed up unbelievably quickly. Far quicker than I can ever remember. When I go out on the paddle board I just wear shorts. Who'd a thought it eh?

Our website has just been updated. Well done to Avian and Elle, that was a big job but I think we're just about there. 

The super bank at the top of the beach remains. Get a big clean swell and a big tide and that could be all time.

There's debate within mission control as to when our 20th anniversary is. We started in 1995 so if that was our first year, by right's at the end of this one, we'd have done 20 seasons. I'm gunning for a celebratory Foamie Fest over the October half term to mark the occasion! Time to dust down the guitars!

Speaking of a long time ago, the house that we now know as the Surf's Up! Surf Centre was the third building ever to be built in Polzy! A client sent me this photo.. I love that photo. I've still got that hat!



Stuart ("four right") and Amanda who started up the Cone Zone at about the same time as we started the surf school, have taken a part share in Surfside, the cafe across the far side of the beach. Despite many valiant attempts it's proved to be a tricky place to get right. But I think this time, they may just have nailed it. Steak and Lobster, that's all they do! A simple concept for the pleasure of which you'll be charged like a wounded Rhino but reviews are sky high and I for one can't wait to have a crack at one of those whoppers. Good luck to them and hope to see you there.

A whirly bird would be the preferred method of entry in to or exit out of Cornwall right now. Seems there's a massive effort to repair or relay tarmac. Credit where credit's due. Easy to get frustrated in the jam, but there's never a good time and they needed sorting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment