Wednesday 17 April 2013

Looking forwards

Firstly let's congratulate two of our former Surf's Up! Boardriders - Liam and Max who both triumphed at the recent Rip Curl Grom Search. A fantastic achievement by both. Trained over a few years intensively by our elite coach and Kiwi, Kelly O'Toole these boys have been going head to head for a while now. It'll be interesting to track their careers as they progress into the older age categories.

Surf today - head high, windy but warm. I much prefer it like this. It's almost balmy! Sunny yesterday. My bonce is browner than on Monday for sure.

Speaking of balmy, went to the solicitors yesterday... that all went well. Few paths to explore for sure. And then if it comes to it we're looking at a bill of £25k -30k to go to Judicial Review. Costly for sure. We'd have to sell one of our kids, but needs must and the cause is a good one! I like to see myself as a visonary :-) and what I see in three years time is sun, surf and three surf schools battling it out to pay for big licence fees in an over crowded black and white surf zone whilst the perpetrators are long gone. It's not about today or tomorrow - it's what happens within that 7 year lease period. The problem only gets worse. And the problem is there to stay. It's irreversible. That's why we have to stand up for what we think is right. 

The council are bending the rules of risk assessments and HSE and it's not right in any shape or form. It sets a precedent. Do you know what I'd really like to know? Where's the expertise coming from to make these decisions. The impact is huge, these are fundamental changes to the way the beaches are managed..... consultation should have been undertaken. If, as I suspect, the council are leaning on someone without the necessary experience, we will get to the bottom of it. Because no-one in their right mind would go forward with this proposal. It's a recipe for disaster. It's a way to raise cash so that someone can stay in employment. But they're not going to get it. If we pull out from the tender process and park 5 yds away, take the view that we'd rather pay £300 for a parking ticket, spend the £19,700 on developing our business in a different way, who's going to pay £20k to sit next to us? You'd think they'd take a view and do the same. What's been proved in this process is that at the end of the lease term, you have a business that you can't sell on and that therefore has no value. I think the council are at risk of making less money than last year, not more. But we'll see. I believe in people, and I  like to see the best in people. I'm also a fatalist ie things happen for a reason. How many of you have said, this could be the best thing that's ever happened to you. 

I should thank you again for the letters of support - we'd like to somehow publish them, it's hard to comprehend the efforts that have been made to write about your connection with Polzeath and real genuine concern that it retains it's appeal. Humbling, make no mistake. Oh and I used to think no-one read my blogs or newsletters - apparently some of you do.

Right, I suppose I'd better do some guitar and singing practice for Saturday. The last time our band played together was September and we won't have time for a rehearsal. We're going to wing it. History tells me that in our case a good rehearsal is no guarantee of a good gig. We've had some shockers! Standing behind the mike can be the loneliest of places when it's all going wrong. I lost my voice once at a private party during the second song. The Amy Whitehouse tribute singer came back on stage to lend a hand. There's a low light right there! But at the same time, I've been past head high amongst the assembled for a bit of crowd surfing - at the Oystercatcher as it goes, which is where we're playing this weekend. I'm hoping that adrenaline, fear and a drunk audience will win the day! Whatever happens, it'll be fun and I feel there'll be a bit more energy and angst to channel into the vocals this time around. Ladies and gentleman, let's get ready to rumble! Oh nearly forget, how rude... of course on Saturday, we'll also be celebrating Plymouth Argyle staying in the football league and the start of their charge towards the Premiership. Get in!


No comments:

Post a Comment