Friday 22 March 2013

Tender Proposal - update


Following my newsletter yesterday, a vein was struck and an outpouring of emotion was heaped upon the council via many emails. And I have to say that some of you are terrifically eloquent. I muddle through with a limited skill set, but you guys?! Passion flowed through your finger tips as you too felt compelled to challenge a council proposal that threatens the place that you so obviously feel ownership of. For sure, what's very clear, is that your vision of Polzeath, is a long way from that of the council. 

Anyway, following your efforts, it seems only appropriate that I give you an update, keep you in the loop as it were. Well I can report that the very latest news is that, erm, there is none! Nope, no word from Council Villas. In fact, returned e-mails even suggest that the decision makers are on holiday until the 2nd April, a date that conveniently falls after the bids are to be submitted! That's a bit disappointing - I had some more questions. I did manage to contact one of main men by phone earlier today, but it was his day off and he wouldn't discuss it. If I had hair, I'd pull it out, so I'm grinding my teeth. Grrrrrrr. 

Alongside the letters cc'd to me were offers of free assistance from procurement experts and lawyers; other councils; and plentiful coverage in national and local media. To all of whom we say thank you very much (I will respond to every e-mail I've received with a personal reply - if you've written but haven't sent me a copy, I'd be grateful if you would). But the thing is this. We don't want a legal battle; nor be on the front page of the papers; nor headline a radio news bulletin. Our business has been built on reputation alone, we like to do things word of mouth. We run a surf school and live a beach lifestyle. And all we want to do is to able to continue our business established 18 years ago, under the guidance of a competent council who's opinion and actions we trust. In a council that embarks in dialogue and consultation with those with experience.

What's absolutely clear from your comments is that what you want is a safe beach to enjoy - and it's up to us as the activity providor to work with the land owners to ensure that happens. Wouldn't it be great if the council put the tender process on hold for a moment and took some time out to consider all the points you've made. If you've written, thank you for taking the time. If you haven't, but you'd still like your view to be considered, please write to david.attwell@cornwall.gov.uk - and copy to jolyon.sharpe@cornwall.gov.uk.


No comments:

Post a Comment