Sunday 17 October 2010

Exhausting!

Cycled to Penryn near Falmouth today to watch Billy play footie. Exhausting! Not the bike ride, the spectating! What a match! Totally absorbing. We're pretty laid back supporters but even I had a good old head to head with the other sides parents - very unlike me. Billyman has a turn of speed that no one can deal with down the right wing and what he's learning very quickly is that means that the bigger boys (he plays a year up) who can't keep up just hack him down! The home referee offered him no protection. Following yet another blatant push that sent Billy sprawling right in front of me, I decided to voice my opinion to the ref, which was followed by a volley of abuse from the other supporters. Bad losers - Wadebridge won 2 - 0, Billy scoring the second. Every single Wadebridge player, played out of their skin, as a team performance it was as good as you could see. The commitment they showed defied their age. Penryn were a great great team and piled on the pressure, but they couldn't handle Wadebridge on the break away. Such a fantastic contest. I can't remember watching a more absorbing game of footie, at any level for a long long time.

At the final whistle, Billy was in tears. He'd been kicked from pillar to post, run a million miles, scored a goal, got Man of the Match (could have gone to any of the Wadebridge players), and been subjected to the worst verbal abuse from the oppo that I'd ever heard. I think he'd just given his all and came over all emotional! Good lad! They're a bit rougher down South that's for sure.

At the final whistle I had the joy of walking passed the opposition supporters. I had my speech prepared. "Look guys, we support good football. We applaud other teams good play as much as ours. But that was blatant and your boys were better than that." No-one asked my opinion. The return game will be one to savour!

No comments:

Post a Comment