Thursday 9 September 2010

Cracknell on the Mend

James Cracknell is a one off - there he is lying in hospital with a fractured skull and he's taken time out to reply to an e-mail I sent him, pre-accident. A few years back we paddled across the English Channel on surfboards (one each!), for charidee! I think we raised about £40,000 on the back of James's Olympic status (and got in the Guinness Book of World Records for the fastest crossing - 5hrs 26mins). He is the most focused man I've ever met! As someone who'd spent limited time on a surfboard, he relied pretty well entirely on his massive engine and strength of mind. I'd spent six months training really hard, going for long paddles from Polzeath Beach to Port Isaac most days; sometimes out beyond the islands, on to Trevose Lighthouse and back; sometimes up the Camel Estuary to Wadebridge and back. I put the time in and was in the shape of my life. But then I needed to be with James giving up his valuable time for the challenge.

The crossing was an amazing experience, from the Monster Mushroom Risotto the night before; launching the surfboards in the dark early the next morning to begin the pain; chomping on energy bars thrown from the support boats whilst at all times still paddling with one arm; and indeed just paddling for over 5 hours with the stench of diesel fumes in our nostrils from the very same support boats; and then the pure relief and magic of touching the rocks at Cap Griz-Nez. The realisation of a dream come true. Every part of it is etched in my memory. But funnily enough it was an event in London to publicise the crossing that was one of the best bits for me.

James comes with a PR machine - when you're raising money this is essential. And on this particular day we met at St. Catherine's Docks where the press had assembled to take photos. This in itself was all new to me and was exciting. After a couple of interviews we jumped into the Thames and proceeded to paddle under Tower Bridge, followed by a strong contingent of boats full of the 'Papps'. Sitting on our boards under the bridge was amazing, mind blowing. My only regret was the one photo that made the Telegraph, one with me and James sitting side by side under the bridge .. I never got a copy of! Damn.

Anyway, I learned a lot from James and we shared some special moments. He's gone on to do some mind blowing feats - anyone who crosses the Atlantic in a rowing boat has my full respect (especially as I get hideously sea sick!). He was training on a bike for some crazy new challenge across America when he was hit from behind by a truck. He's recovering well - as he says "I feel okay just a bit more tired than normal with a bloody sore foot and slightly sore head but yeah I’m making good progress."

It goes without saying that we wish him well.


No comments:

Post a Comment