Monday 2 August 2010

Handbags at Dawn

I've never been in a fight, not bad for 44 years - but I could have thumped these yoofs tonight!! Okay here's the story. Every night at about 10.30pm I go down and do the final trailer pack. I put the signs away and have a general check that all is well. I then go up to the shop and beach house and check that all is well there. Tonight on my way back from the Beach House I was walking across the entrance to the beach car park when this bottle smashes in front of me. No big deal I thought, someone's just dropped it - and they'll be right on it. I looked up at the 30 kids - not one of them made a move. This hadn't been an accident - it was on purpose.

So I went over. "Who chucked the bottle?" I asked. After a bit of investigation, turns out it was this girl. "you're going to sort that out yeah?" She wasn't interested and neither were her friends. Hm, I surveyed the broken glass on the sand. I know, I'll go over and watch from the car by the trailer, see what happens. Not 5 seconds from taking up my watching position, this other lad, mid-conversation, throws another glass bottle onto the sand! He must have been mid sentence.

Now I'm mad, furious. So I head back over, pick up the bottle, go back into the middle of the throng and jabbed him in the arm "I think this is yours mate!" he looked at it. No reaction. "If you like it here, why ruin it?" My reasoned, colourful and very angry sermon met with deaf ears. So I put the bottle in the bin and then picked up the broken glass myself.

I'm a great believer in that kids have this rite of passage to go through - I don't have a problem with kids having a few too many beers, that's fine, I know I did. It's a great age. But this crew weren't drunk! They were in the early stages of their night out and perfectly able to make a judgement. I think that's what annoyed me the most!

And, relax.....

No comments:

Post a Comment