Sunday 4 July 2010

Not so much a celebration

I've been up to the big smoke! And would you believe it I happened across one of my best mates - Mike. He lives in Cambridge and never goes to London. And I very rarely make it up to London. Unbelievable that we should bump into each other walking through Selfridges! I say, walking through, as there was no way I was going to stop and make any purchases at those prices. Looking for a suit to wear, this was well out of my league! Really great to catch up with Mikey - fate.

The suit was to be worn at the remembrance service for my old school mate Andy. He took his own life just over a week ago. With his nine year old triplets in attendance this was a very sad affair. And one that no-one could quite comprehend. Here was one of life's great achievers, great men of faith and great father - a really good man. And yet he we were gathered together to celebrate his passing. His son had been asked what he'd like to say about his dad. He said "that's easy. I can sum him up in three words. Dad was everything." When the brother in law read this out, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. The whole service was incredibly moving - bewildering. Although the family did an amazing job in celebrating his life, it was not a day for celebration. Some things simply cannot be explained.

The only positive was that I was able to meet up with some of my old school buddies - and that was great. What a shame it took such an occasion to bring us all back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment